Monday, 27 May 2013

Cycling - First Ride, and Joining the "Stationary Crash" Club!

Yesterday was my first ride out on my gorgeous new Trek Neko SL - it's a hybrid, so very much easier to ride on the roads than my old full suspension mountain bike, and it managed beautifully on the footpaths through the common we crossed (although riding through sand on any bike would have been tricky!).

I'd spent the first part of the day tinkering - new lights, swapping saddles (it comes with what feels like some kind of razor blade - I've reverted to my "granny saddle" and it's gel filled kindness!), fitting my saddle bag and phone holder, as well as my trusty dirt monkey mudguards!

Saddle loveliness!



Pedal On do a fantastic deal with "pedal points", where you get to choose 25% of the price of your bike in accessories! I chose SPD Pedals, the saddle bag, inner tubes and some Endura Humvee cycling 3/4 shorts.

Not knowing whether I'd get on with the SPD pedals (clippy pedals, as I like to call them!) I didn't want to spend the normal fortune on shoes, so I found these Cannondale Roam shoes on Amazon for less than £20 - nowhere else seems to do anything for less than £50, and the reviews were favourable, so I decided they were worth the risk.

One of the paths.



So, fully kitted out (all of the gear - no idea!) we headed out for a 13 miler.

When I'd mentioned on Facebook that I had clippy pedals, I was warned I was bound to join the Stationary Crash Club - falling over because you've stopped and forgotten your feet are attached to your pedals - it's like a right of passage - anyone who is anyone with clippy pedals has done it.

I did it....... Twice!

First time I hadn't forgotten - I'd unclipped my left foot, stopped, turned round to see where S was, and toppled over to my right! Spread myself quite inelegantly into the middle of a, thankfully quiet, country lane!

My knee took the brunt of the impact!



I disentangled myself and jumped back on, only to fall over (I can't say fell off - I was completely attached!) 2 minutes later when S made a surprise change of direction and I just threw myself into the brambly roadside! A passing car even stopped to check I was ok lol! More bruises from the bike landing on me than blood, but it took a while for me to sort myself out - I was still completely clipped in!

I soldiered on, and it was a lovely lovely ride. I've learnt to only use my cleats on long, uninterrupted stretches of road (I deliberately chose pedals that are only cleated on one side!), and to not ride too close to my husband!

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment